Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Florida Kossacks Unite

I have been trying to put together a list of Florida Kossacks (DailyKos users from Florida for the uninitiated.) We can blame this whole thing on Susan S. She thought a Tampa Bay Kossack email list would be a good thing to put together after the election. I thought that was such a good idea that I have been trying to expand it across Florida.

Well, it's been pretty much hit or miss here so far. So, I put on my thinking cap and said to myself, "Self, how are we going to go about getting more Florida Kossacks onto this list?" Can you see the light bulb coming on now? So Self answers back, "Well you dummy, why don't you set up a blog for Florida kossacks and other interested folk?"

So, here we are at Florida Kossacks. I thought maybe if we had a central place to post our diaries maybe more Floridians would see them. I know that we have a lot to say about things of particular interest to Floridians. I don't see why you couldn't post them on DKos and cross post them here. Or maybe there are some things you would just want to post here - or whatever.

Anyway, my hope is to start something here that would be useful to Florida Progressives in coping with the problems and opportunities that we face here in the Sunshine State.

I want to invite all Florida Kossacks and anyone else who has an interest in all things Florida to drop by the blog and see what's going on. If you are interested enough to want to publish, drop me a note at:

gatordem at verizon dot net

and we'll set you up for that.

I am certainly open to any suggestions about how to do this better and / or make it more useful or more interesting or just plain different than it is. So hurt me, but not too bad.

I hope to see you all around the FL-Kossack blog soon.

8 comments:

Susan S said...

Great idea! The email thingy wasn't working too well. One reason being that here in Hillsborough County our inboxes are being inundated with Yahoo messages debating the new DEC Chair election.

Everyone and Their Blogger said...

Thanks--this is an awesome idea, all. I've bookmarked this in my Favorites so will hope to chat more with Kossacks around Fla.

gatordem said...

Please invite any Florida Kossacks you know that we haven't gotten on the list yet - or anyone else you think might have an interest.

Sarasota Lib said...

This is a great idea...an opportunity to discuss FL issues (or any issue) with other Dems/progressives/liberals. Don't know about any of you, but I feel much more comfortable around my progressive friends than the few Repub/Conservatives left in my life. I either end up in arguments with them or carefully watching what I say to avoid conflict. Thanks to all of you for the freedom to talk openly about issues & ideas.

thefos said...

Just checking in.

gatordem said...

Sarasota Lib,

You are always welcom here.

Maybe one of the things we can write about is how to to talk to conservatives?

gatorvoter said...

Thanks for setting this up. I enjoy DK because there are people who speak my language. It's nice to know there are people in Florida who speak it too. We are lucky here in Gainesville because our county is a known hotbed of libruls. But we often feel different from the rest of the state. I am looking forward to reading and hopefully contributing to this blog. Thanks again.

gatordem said...

OK, when I am not showing up as Local Yokel, I am otherwise known as gatordem. So, as one Gator to another, welcome GatorVoter!

I know how it feels in Gainesville to be an island of progressivism surrounded by a sea of yahoos. But, hey, it's great to be a Florida Gator. (Sorry Susan S - who is a transplanted Vol).

Please feel free to contribute - the more the merrier!